In today’s digital age and the communication-driven world, carrying a phone is imperative for us all; and as such Smartphones have become an integral aspect of our personal and professional life. While we use our Smartphone to perform various activities like browsing, socializing and entertainment, it also lets us to be constantly in touch with our acquaintances through various means like calls, texts or social apps. Thus, we are always hankering for those important calls or messages, which also leave us vulnerable to be targeted by spammers or other annoying people.
Many businesses, in their bid to promote their products and services, also send out numerous emails and messages, which could spam the inbox of users. While few of them are genuine, most are marketing gimmicks that are intended to trap the users with alluring messages.
Being constantly bugged by unwanted calls and messages can be frustrating, but we can rest assured that there are several ways to stop this menace on our Android phone. While Android doesn’t provide a universal method for blocking contacts, also omitting it in the vanilla versions of Android Marshmallow and Lollipop, here is an option that could be useful on a stock Android phone
- Go to call logs
- From the call log
- Select the number(s) from which you want to block the incoming calls.
- Tap the menu icon in the upper right corner
- Select the option – Add to reject list.
- Doing this will disable all incoming calls from that specific number, which can be repeated for the rest.
However, if you have already saved the number in your contact list, you can block it by going to the Profiles/Contacts. But, if you wish to be courteous and just want to divert them to your voice mail, this is how you can do it –
- Go to the Contact list
- Select the contact
- Tap the button on the right-hand corner that resembles a pencil
- Then tap the menu icon
- Select the checkmark against the option – All Calls to Voicemail.
- This will direct all the calls from this contact to your carrier’s voice inbox
This will ensure no calls from the selected contact will reach your phone and so it wouldn’t ring to disturb you.
While, these options for stopping the annoying calls are simple, blocking the spam messages can be little tricky on Android. You can also go with the third-party apps as we explore the option in some of the latest versions.
- Go to Settings
- Once opened, select the Wireless & Networks option and Tap “More” under it.
- Choose the option – “Default SMS app.”
- From the list of apps select Hangouts,
- It’s Google’s in-built app that handles your SMS messages.
- Once done, you can launch hangouts from your home screen.
- It will then import all the text messages automatically.
- Now search and select a spam SMS
- Open the menu button and tap “People & options”.
- Then select “Block” or “Block number” from the options heading.
- This way you can block all the sources of spam SMS on your Android.
- If you want to cross-check, go to Settings>SMS
- Choose the “Blocked numbers” and you can see the list. If you wish to unblock any of them, choose “Unblock” option next to their name.
These are some of the ideal methods that can help you avert the menace of annoying calls and messages on your Android phone. While this list is by no means exhaustive and profound, it entails probably the easiest of options that would help you.